Health Authority issues advisory after algae bloom at Tenmile Lakes

By The Register-Guard

REEDSPORT — The water in Tenmile Lakes is toxic, according to the Oregon Health Authority, who issued an advisory Monday in Coos County.

The toxins come from the blue-green algae bloom eight miles south of Reedsport near Highway 101. High levels of cyanotoxins produced by blue-green algae can be harmful to humans and animals, officials said. Symptoms include numbness, heart problems and breathing problems.

The health authority advises against swallowing or inhaling the water, making contact with the water or drinking the water from the lake. Boiling or filtering the water does not remove the toxins, health officials warned. Residents in the area that rely on the lake for in-home water must use an alternative water source until the advisory is lifted.

Fish collected from the lake for food should have all fat, skin and organs removed before cooking to keep the toxins out of the meat. Boating in the lake is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk, officials said.

Children and pets have an increased risk for exposure because of their size and level of activity, the health authority advised.

To report human or pet illness from the algae bloom, contact the Oregon Health Authority at 971-673-0400. For information about advisories issued or lifted for the season, call 1-877-290-6767 or visit the Harmful Algae Bloom website at http://www.healthoregon.org/hab and select “Algae Bloom Advisories.”

Read the article at:
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/32162496-75/health-authority-issues-advisory-after-algae-bloom-at-tenmile-lakes.html.csp

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s